Thursday, April 1, 2010

Knitwear you can fall in love with



When I think of knitwear I think big warm scarves and fluffy beanies, the woollen socks my mum used to knit and the oversized jumpers I wear only around the house. The term is intrinsically linked to comfort and warmth. These aren’t necessarily negative discourses but they are limiting. The question I’d like to pose today is: Can knitwear be sexy?

Wool is an incredibly versatile material that never gets its full due. Yes it is a great insulator but it can also be a very luxurious, fine and elegant material. If you need any proof just look to Rodney Thanh’s 2010 collection of beautifully crafted fine Marino knitwear.

Thanh has spent years perfecting the art of knitwear. His innovative style takes a unique approach to traditional knitwear. He uses the same tried and true techniques our grandmothers used to knit our jumpers but what he creates is nothing like what my grandma wears. Think heavy chain embellishments, cheeky cut outs, thick plaits and plunging necklines.
There are no itchy, scratchy pieces in this collection. He uses the finest quality Australian merino wool as his core yarn. In an interview with LMFF Thanh said “I have manipulated these beautiful natural fibers to mould, drape and wrap around the female form.”

The highlight of his collection, I think, is the floor length, beaded dress pictured above. When he showcased this piece at LMFF the crowd buzzed with excitement as every woman in the room let out a collective sigh of appreciation.

However Thanh’s favourite piece is the more practical hand knitted rope sweater. “I love creating knitwear which is technically challenging and also keeps the function of what knitwear should do... keep you warm” said Thahn

It seems wool is a popular fibre this season. Vogue editor Kirstie Clements opened the LMFF Designer awards night with a toast to the Australian Wool Innovation. “Fashion starts with fabric” Clements declared “Wool is the best fibre”.

With various shades of grey and black making up 90% of Thanh’s collection it truly is a quintessentially Melbourne label. Don’t get me wrong I love a big, soft, comfy woollen jumper on a cold morning and my scarf collection is frankly out of control. But with winter fast approaching I think it might be time to invest in some beautiful, good quality knitwear from the Thanh collection. Available at http://www.thanh.com.au/

The answer is yes. Knitwear can be sexy.
























sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment