Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wild at Heart

I have a new girl crush: her name is Kym Ellery.

It began months ago. I was flipping through a magazine when a dress caught my eye. The brand was Ellery and the dress was from her capsule collection, The High Priestesses of Rock and Roll designed exclusively for Sportsgirl.

The more I learnt about this Perth born fashion icon the more I liked. Ellery is a young extremely successful and talented Sydney-based designer. She studied fashion illustration at London’s Central Saint Martins before she was snatched up by RUSSH magazine and dubbed marketing editor.


Since launching her own label Ellery in 2007 she has not put a foot wrong. Her edgy, glamorous and oh-so-feminine pieces have certainly caught the attention of the Australian fashion industry.


Her line for Sportsgirl is another step in the right direction.
Since I read about this exciting range every time I visited Sportsgirl (which is more often than id like to admit) I was slightly disappointed as Ellery was no where to be seen.

Then today on my quest to find new boots I strolled into Sportsgirl and there she was!
Her beautiful tough but girly collection was still in the process of being hung up by the friendly Sportsgirl staff. My eyes instantly located the dress I’d seen all those months ago. I grabbed it and made a beeline for the change rooms.

The Tiger print A line dress pictured above. I’m in love. It’s so cute, so flattering and so me.

I’ve had a thing for pretty dresses since I was a little girl. Not just simple shifts mind you but structured, sleeved, detailed dresses. Give me colour, frills, pleats, jewels, bows just give me anything that makes me feel like a princess and I’m happy.

My long suffering mother began her career as my dressmaker when I was 6 and Target no longer satisfied my tastes. She learnt how to make petty coats, double skirts, puffed sleeves and lacy collars. We spent countless hours at spotlight selecting material- always a pattern or print.
Nothing’s really changed. A cute dress is still my wardrobe staple.

This dress is no exception. The rock inspired tiger print gives this little cutey a bit more street cred. I love the shape, I love the print and I love the price.

Kym Ellery thankyou!

No comments:

Post a Comment