Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A sordid affair




Sometimes the best things in life are right under your nose.

Collective Espresso is one such place. I’ve walked past this café countless times.
The lack of time I spend in the suburb I hail from means whenever I am in the hood I instinctively migrate to my favourite local cafe- Butterfly. Which just happens to be positioned four shops up from Collective.


Collective Espresso opened about 10 months ago. As a loyal Butterfly devotee I felt strangely protective and territorial. I feel a completely unwarranted amount of ownership over my local cafes. However I was still quietly curious of this spanking new, oddly plain cafe. Feeling vaguely like an unfaithful partner slipping into a strip club I ducked down to collective to grab breakfast. Alas their kitchen was under construction and I slinked guiltily back to my cosy, comfortable Butterfly.

Since moving out of the hood I have become a café slut. I’m not ashamed of my lifestyle. I think it’s only natural to want to experience as many cafes as possible. Encouraged by my like-minded friends my desire has grown and grown. At first it was just on the weekends now it’s at least once, sometimes twice a day. My desire is insatiable. Any time of the day, any suburb, I’m always up for it. Erika I blame you.

So when last Sunday on an early morning shift I heard Collective now had a fully functioning kitchen I jumped at the chance for a cheeky little breakfast date. Butterfly? Been there, done that.

Space is not a luxury this café has to enjoy. But to their credit the owners have done a good job with what they’ve got. Inside one long communal table stretches the length of the room. The white walls are decorated with brightly coloured paintings and delicate posies in black Hendrick's bottles adorn the table. Simple but charming.
Similarly I would describe the menu as short and sweet. I had the Bircher muesli with poached apple. It was delicious and nutty but not very generous. The avocado toast with fetta looked more satisfying. The menu didn’t blow me away but it was solid.

The coffee however blew my mind. I’m not a coffee connoisseur but I know what I like and I love this. My skinny cappuccino was like hot, velvety caffeinated heaven. They use Five Senses beans and also offer a rotating single origin. The owners are originally from New Zealand but don’t hold that against them. They’ve also clocked up plenty of experience in Melbourne’s café culture at the one and only Las Chicas. The prices were pleasantly affordable- $10.50 for breakfast is excellent value by my standards.

Butterfly I still love you but one café just cannot satisfy my needs.




No comments:

Post a Comment