Sunday, March 28, 2010

One Thousand Steps to a Great Bum



Having not drunk last Saturday night I decided to utilize my Sunday morning in a way only a person not hungover can do. Instead of pulling on my Ugg boots, popping some Aspro Clears and crawling back into bed I pulled on my Assics, grabbed my water bottle and drove to the Dandenongs.
The 1000 Steps is a popular spot for fitness freaks, families and those who like a stroll. The walk is situated at the base of Mt. Dandenong. I estimate approximately 45 minutes from the city.The walk itself is only 3.6 km but don’t be fooled by the small distance; half of that is made up of moss covered, deceptively steep steps.
At first I thought it would be a nice Sunday stroll. The scenery was beautiful, the air was fresh and I even saw some native wildlife.
Up and back only took half an hour to walk; far too easy. Feeling inspired by the fact I had no alcohol in my system and after a few encouraging words from my personal trainer/little brother I attempted to run the second time up.
After the first 2 flights of stairs I had to stop. Pink as the vodka raspberries I didn’t have last night and just as sticky, I arrived at the top. With only a few tiny breaks along the way I was very pleased with my efforts.
According to my fitness freak brother running up the steps works the quadriceps (thighs) and gastrocnemius (calves) muscles- great for legs. Running down the steps then works the glutes (butt) and hamstrings (thinghs) muscles. Furthermore the unstable surface of a track meant my core muscles were constantly working to keep me stabilized.

It’s true my abs and butt feel sore and also do I dare say a little defined.I will definitely be back... just maybe not on a Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment