Sunday, March 28, 2010

How to Move Your World in One Day



I don’t know exactly where moving sits on the list of most stressful activities but I would hazard a guess it’s close to the top and if not it should be.

For the last six months I have enjoyed residing in the beautiful beach side suburb of Elwood. With an overseas trip looming close on the horizon it is with great sadness that I’ve had to give up my room on leafy Addison street.
This week I bit the bullet, bought some boxes and began the bittersweet mission of moving back to the burbs.

It took a Mazda Two, a Barina, a trailer, two boosts, two coffees, my best friend and my boyfriend to move all my possessions back to my parents. Unfortunately due to a deadly combination of my hast to move out of a parents, my sentimental nature and sheer laziness I’d never quite gotten around to sorting out my old room.
I am a self confessed horder. Just the thought of how much ‘stuff’ I’ve managed to collect in the last 22 years makes me shake my head in shame. Hidden in various boxes and draws is everything from a box of rocks collected on a forgotten beach to the coroner visor I accumulated on a drunken adventure back in 2006.

As I began to unpack box after box I had to face the fact that there was just not enough room for all my new grown up household toys and my old childhood ones. It was time to get ruthless. The full list is far more extensive and boring so here are the highlights of what survived the great cull of 2010 and what has found new residence at the tip.

Stamp collection (yes I know im a nerd)- tip
Gymnastics medals-tip
Primary school reports- tip
Childhood photos- saved
Bruno my favourite teddy bear- op shop (I couldn’t bear to throw him out)
Old Christmas and birthday cards- tip
Old love letters- burned

I feel rejuvenated, refreshed and somehow lighter. I have sworn to reform my ways. No longer will I endow useless items with an unquantified amount of sentimental value. I will endeavour to keep my room junk free and live a nomadic, carefree lifestyle.

Here are my top tips for making moving a breeze:

Many hands make light work: Moving is a job that requires at least two people. I guarantee there will be at least one thing in your room that is too heavy for you to lift by yourself. Get a friend and lock them in for the day.

Buy your boxes from Kennards box shop: If you can’t be bothered getting old boxes from a store these guys sell boxes for about $2 a box. They also buy them back off you after your done so it ends up costing you about $1 a box.


Don’t doubt your own ability: Usually I leave any sort of handy work that requires a tool box to someone with y chromosomes. Realizing how terribly archaic that was I grabbed the tool box and managed to dismantle and re-assemble my bed with relative ease.

Take breaks: I recommend a long leisurely lunch at a café or at least a quick boost juice to keep your energy levels up.


Be ruthless: forget sentimental you don’t need the note your year twelve boyfriend left in your locker. De clutter your room and you’ll feel reborn.


Happy moving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment