Sunday, May 2, 2010

Thirst Quencher

I’m one of the least co-ordinated and most accident-prone people I know. If there’s an open flame I will burn myself. I there’s a sharp edge I will scratch myself. If there’s a slightly uneven surface I will trip.
Add to this equation a pair of three inch heels and a few vodka sodas and there’s a 90% chance I will end up with a new scratch or bruise by morning. Even when I’m not drinking I still manage to injure myself. Thus it is no surprise a smattering of unsightly scars mars my body.

But I have found my saviour: Bio-oil.

Bio-oil is a skincare product specifically designed to improve the appearance of scars and stretch marks. I originally bought it to help heal a particularly prominent carpet burn scar I acquired whilst wrestling with my boyfriend.
After reading the packet I was delighted to learn that bio-oil promises to improve the appearance of both new and old scars. So now every morning all my scars receive a smothering of bio-oil.

I’m usually very sceptical of what actually goes in skincare products. But the active ingredients all seem very practical. There’s vitamins A and E which are widely used in the skincare industry. Both very well known for helping improve the skins elasticity, texture and tone. Then an assortment of plant oils- Calendula, Lavender, Rosemary and Chamomile, which have been used for centuries to treat skins conditions such as eczema.

The ‘breakthrough’ ingredient is PurCellin oil. This is a laboratory recreation of the oil ducks produce to preen their feathers with. During preening ducks distribute this oil all over their feathers. The oil forms a thin non-greasy layer that keeps their feather glossy and protects them from water. The PurCellin oil is what makes this product so light and absorbent. Without it the plant oils and vitamins would remain on the skins surface as an oily residue.

Please note the PurCellin Oil in Bio Oil is synthetically produced. Union Swiss has a strict policy against testing on animals. No ducks where harmed in the formulation or production of Bio-oil.
I was very impressed with the results. Yes I think my scars have faded a little but more noticeably my skin is so soft. I’ve now started using bio oil everywhere, even on my face.

Everyone’s skin is unique. Some people have skin as flawless as a babies bum and some have small volcanoes threatening to erupt all over their face. My problem isn’t mini mountains its small deserts. Strange dry patches like to appear on my face whenever there’s a slight change in temperature, my hormones or whenever I have an important occasion coming up.

If you already have normal or oily skin I wouldn’t recommend using bio oil on your face. But if, like me, your skin is dryer than the Sahara this stuff is a god-send. It’s not greasy or thick as you’d expect. It’s light and easily absorbed. It leaves your skin feeling hydrated and plumper. It also smells very pleasant.

Winter can be a hard time for skin. We tend to blast our heaters and pack on the foundation. Add to that low humidity, harsh winds and long hot showers and it’s no wonder our skin is lacking moisture.

So if like me your accident prone or your skin looks thirsty I recommend Bio-oil. Smaller, less-noticeable scars and hydrated, plumper skin.

I mean really, have you ever seen a duck with bad skin?




2 comments:

  1. breeza we are each others editors:

    hence you have small cakes and lollies on your face? hehe 'desert' with one s!


    i love this though. im more proud of every day! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! thankyou miss geraerts! all fixed :)

    ReplyDelete